Friday 18 July 2008

Wed 16 July: Choo choo

Up at 6.20am, at station and luggage checked in by 7am. Train didn’t leave till 7.45 and I haven’t quite got used to not allowing lots of contingency time for queues, delays, general hurdles to be overcome (as I do in Britain!).

11 hours on train to Melbourne – pretty comfortable, loads of leg room, scenery not quite as interesting as I thought it might be – lots of farmland and all quite flat, but good to see a bit of the country while I’ve got the time and good to chat to a couple of people on the train.

No K – he’s off to Cairns for a bit more diving as he’s got an unexpected few weeks before he starts his job. I’ve got 5 or 6 meetings lined up with people in Melbourne over 5 working days, which feels like just about enough – have to leave some time for sight-seeing too!

Bizarre moment of the day – train safety card says “No sleeping in overhead luggage racks” - !!!

No comments: