Monday 9 March 2009

Life’s a drag

The Mardi Gras is on in Sydney at the moment. The main parade is widely heralded as a “Sydney institution” and was one of the things we put on our “things to do in Sydney” list when we first arrived here in July. Saturday night was the event itself and (unfortunately) was a bit of a damp squib. One of my colleagues said the best way to see it is to be in it, and I can understand why. The route is fairly short (pretty much restricted to the main thoroughfare in the ‘gay’ part of the city) and the crowds are big, so it’s kind of impossible to see anything unless you’re right at the front. I managed to see a bit thanks to clambering on K’s shoulders (benefits of having a 6’ 4” boyfriend!), but couldn’t keep that going for the whole thing! From what I could see, some of the floats were pretty impressive but most were quite basic and not the all-singing, all-dancing extravaganza I’d been expecting. That, and the gaggles of pissed 15 year olds everywhere made the whole experience a bit less than I was hoping for…oh well.

No comments: